Buydig has a rockin deal on a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX lens for Canon digital SLR cameras. Apply coupon code ZOOM150 to take $150 off the price, bring the final cost with shipping down to $418.99. The consensus is that this is a great lens and this price is more than 25% off the price from the next lowest merchant. This lens has a 4 star rating with 235 reviews on Amazon.
- Some users claim this lens take crisp pictures with a focal length around 50 mm but shots become softer as adjust the shot wider closer to 17mm.
- A small percentage of users report problems with accurate auto-focusing. You could still use manual focus if that happens to you. I can, however, see how this shortfall would disappoint many customers.
- While the vast majority of users give the lens a 4 or 5 star rating, many of the lower ratings claim Sigma has quality control issues with this lens that result in an abnormally large number of defective units.
- Sigma customer support was cited as a problem by a small minority of users.
- The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX lens costs less than half as much as the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8EX lens with similar picture quality.
- This lens focuses quickly.
- The optics are of the highest quality.
- f/2.8 allows for crisp pictures in relatively low light.
- 17mm focal length allows for wide angle photos.
Sigma is a Japanese manufacture of high quality camera components for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax. The company was founded in 1961. They are the largest independent lens manufacturer and remain owned by the founding Yamaki family. When it comes to secondary lens manufacturers, Sigma and Tamron are the two companies that manufacture the widest variety of after market lenses.
The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX lens takes pictures comparable in quality to the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 EX lens at less than half the cost. Buydig is selling this unit for 25%+ less than the nearest competitor after applying coupon code code ZOOM150. If you are in the market for a lens that can take wide angle shots and perform well in low light, this Sigma is an excellent choice.